Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DesignSpark Mechanical 3D CAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinout

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
It's no secret as can be seen from some of my other post that I like and use DesignSpark PCB, basically it fits my requirements and I'm not debating its merits here with other packages. BUT as an electronics/software designer mechanical CAD has always been an issue for me. The low cost ones and free ones either did too little or too much and were too difficult for me to learn in the time I had available.

RS have just launched DesignSpark Mechanical a 3D package and from my short test and play, it looks amazing.
I am now planning to work through the tutorials as quickly as I can because it can also output to 3D printers (one of my dreams to own one of these).

So I'm bringing it to your attention http://www.designspark.com/eng/nodes/view/type:page/slug:mechanical as it would be good to get some CAD people using it to share ideas and help me when I get stuck!!!

The DesignSpark Forum is good, but with a sudden global launch there is the normal install issues for a few people dominating everything at the moment. My install (after I changed my name to more than the required characters to be able to register) and that of a friends went perfectly on WinXP and Win7.

Have a look and have a play.

I'm also a electronics/software guy and am really impressed by DS Mechanical. I've looked at a lot of different packages and this one seems to be the easiest to learn. It may not have the features that some of the others have but that is what I like about it. I can do some relatively simple mechanical design in 2D (AutoCAD LT) but this opens up a new area for me. I can now give my tool room a better definition of what I'm looking for.

What I like the most about DS Mechanical is that it actually wants you to work the part in 3D (according to the FAQ). You start in 2D space defining a basic outline. The rest of the project is done in 3D pulling and pushing the solid into shape. Again, not having a mechanical background, this is the most intuitive to me. I would also be interested in hearing what users of Autodesk, ProE, Solid Works, etc. have to say about DS Mechanical and particularly, with their background in mechanical engineering, how they think the tool stacks up. I can say, for the cost, it can't be beat.

Reactions: pinout

pinout

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back