Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing voltage regulator using darlington pair of transistor without using zener

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul.6sept

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i wanna design a voltage regulator using darlington pair of transistor without using zener.i wanna use a pot so that i can switch between 5 volts and 12 volts.Imax for me is 5amp.Shall i use 2N3055 for both T1 and T2?Also stability factor for me is 0.001%.

Pliz help.

Re: Darlington pair

rahul.6sept,
Can you provide more detail? What do you plan on using as a reference? The "input" transistor of a darlington pair only has to supply the base current of the "output" transistor. Therefore, the input transistor can have a much lower power rating, although its voltage rating must be the same as the output transistor. Using a 3055 for the input transistor would work, but it would be overkill.
Regards,
Kral

Re: Darlington pair

I think driving and main transistor should be the least of your worries. 0.001% or 10ppm stability would include temperature and long term stability and line and load regulation I presume. You need to tell us about load and do you need to adjust voltage beween 5-12V or just switch between two?
What is exactly you are trying to do? There may be easier way to solve problem other than building 10ppm 5A PSU...

Darlington pair

i think you must use a lower transistor for T1 and 2n3055 for T2. because T1 must drive t2 .that is mean the emiter current of T1 is the base current of T2

Status
Not open for further replies.