Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing RF inductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

proslion

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design an inductor that will work perfectly at low frequency range say 200- 400 khz as a filter. so do I just need to take a core and a wire and start to make my windings or the is a lot of things to be considered first. Please help

The most important thing making an inductor at this low frequencies is choosing the type of the core used.
There are Ferromagnetic cores, Laminated cores, Ferrite cores, Toroidal cores, etc., all used at low frequencies in different applications, and requirements.

I want to design an inductor that will work perfectly at low frequency range say 200- 400 khz as a filter. so do I just need to take a core and a wire and start to make my windings or the is a lot of things to be considered first. Please help

Proslion, I don't know if the following information is interesting for your application:
Do you know that you also can design an inductor using 2 opamps and one capacitor (that means: without a winded coil)?
By the way: Do you really mean 400 kHz (as you speak about "low frequencies") ?

you need know inductance and current and dimension requested, then can select material( core and wire)

Not sure if this is useful (it was useful for my particular application) but basically I ended up creating a
spreadsheet recently with many of the 'popular' sized cores (for ferrite and iron powder) (personally I
found the web-based tools a little harder for comparisons).
The red cells are things not to modify. The green cells can be populated with the desired inductance or the
desired number of turns, and it will automatically display the values for all the cores, so you can easily make
comparisons.
It would be more useful if it had more cores, but maybe it is a start. Anyway, it is attached, hope it's useful.
View attachment my_amidon.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back