Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

designing of omni antenna with 6dBi or more gain with patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainak001

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design an omni antenna with following specification

(a) Frequency range of operation: One spot frequency between 1 GHz and 1.6 GHz,
(b) Gain of the antenna: Of the order of 6 dBi.
(c ) Gain ripple: 1 dB.
(d) Bandwidth: about 100 MHz (10 dB return loss)
(e) Beamwidth in the circumferencial plane: 360.
(f) Beamwidth in the vertical plane: about 120.
(g) Polarization: Vertical

the element will be patch element .power is 2-3 watt .

please help me .

Re: designing of omni antenna with 6dBi or more gain with p

Yup, collinear antenna. Here is another example too.

mainak001

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I think you need to think about your specification. The elevation beamwidth you specified is wider than a dipole by about 50%, yet you are asking for 6 dBi. Consider that a dipole is 2.1 dBi. Increasing gain implies decreasing beamwidth.

Do you really need a patch antenna? Why?

Re: designing of omni antenna with 6dBi or more gain

thank u all for the reply . ur tutorila ha helped me a lot .

i want to use patch because of its conformal nature , printed facility and low aerodynamic drag ..

i want to make a WRAP AROUND ANTENNA .

please help me in this regard .

What about the 360 deg by 120 deg coverage? You cannot achieve that in a fixed antenna and 6 dBi of gain.

So, if i want to make 360 deg by 120 deg .. max how much gain i can get ?

As I said earlier a dipole has about 2.1 dBi and less elevation bandwidth than you specified.

I would suspect that at best you would see around 0 dBi with a relatively efficient antenna feed and even that much might be a challenge.

Hmmmmmmmmm. thanks fr the suggestion .

Now i haver a plan . If it would be possible i don't know but just see it if it can do !!

i will have an array of 5-6 antenna s which are cpw fed folded notch antenna . The pattern form one intersects other and ultimately in total effect it produces an omni like pattern not actually omni .. that gain ripple shd be as less as possible . I will wrap this array outside of cylinder .

Will it be possible . If possible with that gain how much elev and azimuth we can cater ?

The gain will depend on the beamwidth of your element orthogonal to the roll axis.

What is the pattern of the element you are contemplating?

A first gain approximation would be 10 log (42000/(Θ * 360). This is not exact.

first i want to thank u fr the hlp i am getting "Azulykit"

for finding out the required pat . i am using an infinite series summation of Hankel function of the second kind and its derivative .
the cylinder dia is 1m i am using axial patches with corporate feed network . the dimension is 1.5lambda * 0.5lambda.. subs er=2.5. h=0.159 cm .

Chest, in that antenna you suggested, exactly how do you connect to the "driving point" in the diagram. Lets say you had a coax cable, I can see the center conductor connecting to the "driving point", but where do you connect the ground return/shield?

IF we want to fed it via coax then the inner conductor will touch the + port and two outputs from the outer conductor will touch the -ve port .

Chest, in that antenna you suggested, exactly how do you connect to the "driving point" in the diagram. Lets say you had a coax cable, I can see the center conductor connecting to the "driving point", but where do you connect the ground return/shield?

"Driving point" is fed by probe (coaxial cable). Inner conductor (core) is connect to the narrow trace/top and outer conductor (braid) is connect to the wide trace/ bottom.

Hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back