Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing an offline hardware Password Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarWizard

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,
I want to talk about a project I have in mind: designing an LCD-based device with a little keyboard that can manage all your passwords safely (offline).
Unlike some already-existing products (like the RecZone) passwords will be stored inside an internal SD card: this will give plenty of space to store entries (probably enough for an entire lifetime) and all info will be easy to recover in case the device fails for some reason.

Features:
-user can enter passwords with the keyboard and all entries are encrypted with a passphrase and stored on the SD
-possibility of creating backups from SD
-user friendly interface with plenty of space for each entry (the only limit is the SD's capacity)
-user can browse all passwords stored on the SD and visualise them by decrypting them with the passphrase
-a redundancy mechanism of saving password on SD will prevent loss in case of flash memory failures
-low consumptions
-the device never connects to outside world

I'm doing some research, and I think the keyboard may be the most difficult part to design...as it needs
a separate chip to detect keypresses that must be programmed separately..

I'm taking inspiration from an already existing project done by this maker: Electronoobs.com who, in his "Radio
Chat" project, is interfacing Arduino both with an homemade keyboard and a LCD:
https://www.electronoobs.com/eng_arduino_tut107.php

I'm thinking of using the same components (especially the homemade keyboard, but not the transceiver of course)

So these are the components required for this project:

-Display (probably a 128x64 OLED display but a 20x4 text display could work as well...)
-Microcontroller (I will use Arduino at first, maybe I will replace it with some other microcontroller later)
-2x SD card readers (connected to Arduino via I2C), possibly able to handle large SD cards. One card is for main service, the second one for backup
-a keyboard ( same as the Electronoob's one)
-an external case (this can be 3D printed, I'm thinking of using the same one from the Radio Chat project)
-a battery, and maybe a charger via usb (again I will follow Electronoob's steps)

Stay tuned for more updates!

This is the schematic I made in Proteus:
schematic.jpg

There is no implemented keyboard yet.. I'm using Virtual Terminal to simulate keypresses
Main SD and Backup SD use SPI protocol, LCD uses I2C protocol, the keybord will communicate with microcontroller through serial

Status
Not open for further replies.