Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing an Embedded Tracking System

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekWizard

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I need to make a presentation on what factors to consider in designing a tracking system embedded in the CIT products.

I have googled such systems and also on this board, most of the people suggest a GPS-GSM embedded system i.e. finding the location through a GPS module and transmitting the information through the GSM network.

My questions are:-

- Are there any other such systems availabe on CIT products?
- What factors are important while designing such a system? I can think of (a) Power supply (b) Choice of microcontroller (c) Network security, Any others?

Many Thanks.

Choose a proper GSM+GPS modem and any of microcontroller with UART & a multiplexer
These are the basic component of a tracker system

What about a tracking system based on GSM and an RF beacon rather than GPS?

I read somewhere that it is more accurate - not sure how though ?

MAK is right, the GSM+GPS module and a microconttroller with at least one UART is the core of a traking system. Take a look to Telit modules.
Bye!

Added after 6 minutes:

I don't know too much about this topic but I think that the positioning by GSM RF signal is quite unreliable (very unreliable if there are buildings around). And of course you need a service that give you the position (I think that you don't want to compute the position from the GSM-station map).

I believe the RF receiver system would cost quite a bit if you want something reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back