Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a VLIW Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunragavan

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Well guys anyone who has been working on VLIW processor please do help me to design one..

what sort of procerssor shud be my target.. a General purpose processor or a application specific processor like a DSP processor..

jes enlighten me

with regards,

VLIW processor ar processor that can execute several INSTRUCCTIONS AT ONCE .but relay a lot on the SCHEDULING by the compiler .(The number of instructions that can be align to be executed) .So this type of machines are better in application where there are a lot of repetitive TASKS .. like DSPs of course.
But it fails dramatically on algorithms where there is a lot of BRANCHING decisions .!
regular dps like the ones implemented in some open sites like opencores are very simple and don't relay on multiple execution UNITS ..a project like that will be MAJOR .

There are alot info on www.opencores.org about that.
Search they web site for VLIW - you will get professional view on developing processors
Cheers

yeah i agree with elton.. VLIW is a failure commercially.. but i want to design a low power version of this processor under Globally asynchronous and locally synchronous (GALS) technology.

any sugessions..?

with regards,

Listen FRIEND this was my FIELD of expertise .i worked in this area for 10 years ..
And still i'm always intersted in this AREA .. Even last year with the Event of low priced XILINX powerfull VIRTEX FPGA some of these projects COULD become FEASABLE
But .They require so much STUDY .. I'll give you an ADVICE .. why don't you start with SISTOLIC architectures .. there are plenty of applications and they are much easier to IMPLEMENT.
Get Systolic parallel PROCESSINg by N.Petkov .. is a great COMPILATION of hardwired systolic alorithms !
But i loved so much this area that i'm always ready for a good fight!
Cheers

yeap i shall start of with the sistolic architecture..

:) thanks sir elton.

with regards,

Hey you can refer to Hwangs book on computer architectures for information on VLIW proccessors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back