Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a simple switch in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

fysloc

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an issue with trying to figure out how to implement a simple switch (as in OPEN or CLOSE circuit) in verilog.

Some background: I have a device that takes user button presses (mostly a capacitive switch) and I have a design that will automatically "press buttons" given certain conditions. The plan I have is to make a small module that can be copied for as many buttons there are.

Heres how my current design works for a single module:
Given the positive end of the switch and ground, wires are soldered onto these end and fed through the FPGA, in which I wrote a simple switch module that takes the positive end as the input, another signal to trigger the switch as input, and the ground as output. Then, my conditional statement is a very simple if statement:

always @ (*)
begin: BUTN_OUT
if (butn_trigger == 1)
ground = pos_input;
else
ground = 0;
end

For a single implementation, this works (afterall, its just acting as a wire between the pos_input and ground), but the moment I try to add this to a top level with more than 1 button, I run into the signal driven by multiple drivers error, mostly due to me driving ground to 0 in my original module.

I know that ground shouldnt be driven in my module, but I can't really think of another way of doing this given my limited knowledge of Verilog. Any help would be appreciated.

PS. The ground is different from the FPGA supply and ground, if that makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back