Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a high stability capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Githin

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a capacitor with low noise and high stability. The dielectric needs to be compressible - so that I can measure a pressure on the plate as a function of capacitance. I tried making a simple capacitor with copper foils as anode and cathode and polyurethane foam as dielectric and found it very noisy.

I can't figure out what causes the noise. It is not probably because of vibrations. What else in the system can cause noise? I measured the noise in the measurement on a standard capacitor and it is about 30aF RMS. With the capacitor I made, the noise in the measured value is about 300fF (about 10000 times higher). There is something in my simple capacitor that makes it inherently noisy. What can I do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.