Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design techniques of protoboard fo high amperes

Status
Not open for further replies.

adwnis123

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I have a circuit developed in protoboard that in some pads the Amperes will be 3 Amperes - 5 Amperes. Because I have no experience with that much currents, can you guide me? I thought of enlarging the conductor made of pads and using 2 pads to make conductors from one element to another. First of all can a protoboard handle so much Amps. Definetley I don't want to destroy something... so I will do some test before using it...

circuit.jpg

Hi,

Another forum (sorry) has a thread discussing the same thing. The answer provided is very detailed and might help.

Veroboard and solder traces current rating?

You should do some research yourself, such as checking the actual spec sheet and any other resources by the manufacturer of your board, and prototyping websites re current handling capacity of perfboard/veroboard/prototyping board.

Personally, I'd have expected the pads to possibly burn and/or peel off at that current, apparently not with additional wire etc. reinforcement. Finding out how hot it will get would be a good idea. I assume solder won't melt. Wish I could be of more help.

When I have wanted additional current carrying capabilities, I add copper foil tape.

The nice thing about the tape is that it can be easily cut with scissors, allowing you to create complex shapes.
And can be soldered to.

Any idea how much current a 1 cm thick copper foil tape can handle in terms of Amperes? From experience?

There are web based tables, which will tell you the resistivity based on the cross sectional area (thickness times width).

Solder braid is also a good suggestion.

Don't rely on solder alone to build up your current handling capabilities. Tin/lead have an order of magnitude higher resistivity than copper.

Hi,

You could also use solid copper wires. Like those from house installation. Remove the isolation.
It depends how hot it may become.
And it depends on the signal ... if there is high frequency switching, then a protoboard isn't suitable at all ... independent of wire diameter.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.