Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design of Log Periodic Antenna on PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himson m thorat

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Thank You to all for giving me a helpfull suggestions.so according to all of you,the structure will be very big for 200MHZ.so i have decided to build it at 900MHZ-1600MHZ.so please anyone send me full design procedure for this design regarding HFSS-11.once again thanks to all.....

Hi Himson,

I have always liked LPD antennas.

They are not particularly difficult to design or build. I find LPD design Handbook by Smith a particularly useful reference. Design guidance is readily available in the usual places (antenna books, IEEE, the web among others).

As a general guide the longest element is slightly longer than a half wavelength while the shortest elements are on the order of a quarter wavelength. the more pointed the antenna the higher the gain. From 6 dBi to around 12 dBi gain is easily achieved. There are a number of "optimum" design curves around for your reference. Note that there is a slight gain error in some of the versions but as you are going to simulate the antenna that will not present a problem.

HFSS will do fine with a simulation, particularly as you can model the feed detail as well. It will work fine provided you have enough RAM. I modeled an LPD about a year ago and it worked fine. As I recall it was a 1 to 12 GHz design and s11 came out to be on the order of -15 dB.

MI Technologies (it is no longer featured on their webpage and they ask that you contact them directly with questions) has a LPD in a band you may find useful and another may be found here: h**p://www.ets-lindgren.com/page/?i=3144

Regards,

Azulykit

thank you very much for your time to time reply for my threds.please tell me what should be thickness of my PCB? and also thickness of my copper layer on it?whether my elements thickness is thickness of my copper layer on my PCB?and where should i apply excitation port as a source?thanking you very much once again....

Your PCB dimensions depend upon the particular material you want to use. Copper thickness is generally between .5 and 2 oz/sq ft but can vary considerably. You are asking about details that will result from your design. These are just WAG's and may even be misleading. I noticed another LPD thread currently being discussed. You may find additional information there.

Regards,

Azulykit

will u please send me the graphs related to this log periodic antenna on pcb,i.e radiation pattern,S11 graph.what should be the gain for this???please.thaking you once again...............

Describe the basic structure of your design. What kind of feed lines are you contemplating? How big is the antenna? What are the general requirements?

What are the other physical requirements? Mounting interface?

What are your radiation requirements and goals? Gain, beamwidth, sidelobe levels, input impedance, front-to-back, input connector and the like? What is important and what is not?

What research have you done besides posting the same question the twice? What are your conclusions? Did you find the reference materials suggested? Where did you look?

Once you lay out a foundation and show you have been working on the problem I expect that you will find the forum members particularly helpful.

Regards,

Azulykit

thank you very much for your time to time reply....
anybody please send me the link regarding graphs, radiation pattern,S11 graph of log periodic antenna on pcb.thanking you once again...............

is it matter that how we are going to locate our antenna in hfss? i.e is it make changes in result if we locate antenna along x axis insted of along z axis.?please reply.i have designed a log periodic antenna on pcb for frequency range 200MHZ-1600MHZ.should i send it to you,so that you can tell me whether it is correct or not?thanking you............................

please anyone tell me in details what is gain phi plot shows, as well as gain theta plot and gain total plot..........thanking you.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back