Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design of Log Periodic Antenna on PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himson m thorat

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi i am Himson ,i want to design a log periodic antenna on pcb,having a frequency rage 200MHZ-1600MHZ.so plz anyone help me for that.im going to simulate that on HFSS-11. Is there any problem for designing???

You can build a microstrip Log Periodic Antenna up to 1.6GHz, but not starting from 200MHz.
The individual elements of Log Periodic Antenna are λ/2 dipoles, longest and smallest elements giving the frequency limits of the antenna.
So, λ/2 of the lowest frequency is 1.5m, making the dimensions of the antenna huge.

My mistake, I was thinking to λ. Anyway, is a big dimension for a PCB antenna.

Agreed way too big for a PCB antenna .... anything below 900MHz would be too big

PCB log-periodic antennas are best from ~ 1GHz to 10GHz
one I use and it works well goes from 2GHz to 11Ghz

cheers
Dave
VK2TDN

Back in the 60s or so there were a variety of portable antennas like this as well as phased arrays. They were printed on clear plastic sheets that could be rolled into a cylinder for transport. There were also ones made from metal pipes for the 3-30 MHz band. These were used mostly by the military.

Back in the 60s or so there were a variety of portable antennas like this as well as phased arrays. They were printed on clear plastic sheets that could be rolled into a cylinder for transport. There were also ones made from metal pipes for the 3-30 MHz band. These were used mostly by the military.

now thats a neat trick, would be worth investigating for my 144,432,1296MHz hilltop ops on fielddays
and considering I have a small car (toyota echo hatch) would make it easy for transport

Dave

Thank You to all for giving me a helpfull suggestions.so according to all of you,the structure will be very big for 200MHZ.so i have decided to build it at 900MHZ-1600MHZ.so please anyone send me full design procedure for this design regarding HFSS-11.once again thanks to all.....

anything below 900MHz would be too big
PCB LogPer antennas with a frequency range from about 400 MHz are commercially available. The datasheet also has a photo that shows the principle design:

please anyone send me full design procedure for this design regarding HFSS-11
... :)

Who have anything about microstrip log periodic antenna as documents, projects, thesis...
Please post link
Thank for all. Help me

Hi Himson,

I have always liked LPD antennas.

They are not particularly difficult to design or build. I find LPD design Handbook by Smith a particularly useful reference. Design guidance is readily available in the usual places (antenna books, IEEE, the web among others).

As a general guide the longest element is slightly longer than a half wavelength while the shortest elements are on the order of a quarter wavelength. the more pointed the antenna the higher the gain. From 6 dBi to around 12 dBi gain is easily achieved. There are a number of "optimum" design curves around for your reference. Note that there is a slight gain error in some of the versions but as you are going to simulate the antenna that will not present a problem.

HFSS will do fine with a simulation, particularly as you can model the feed detail as well. It will work fine provided you have enough RAM. I modeled an LPD about a year ago and it worked fine. As I recall it was a 1 to 12 GHz design and s11 came out to be on the order of -15 dB.

MI Technologies (it is no longer featured on their webpage and they ask that you contact them directly with questions) has a LPD in a band you may find useful and another may be found here: h**p://www.ets-lindgren.com/page/?i=3144

(??? I replied to what I thought was this thread elsewhere on this site .... maybe it was posted twice. apologies if this is redundant ....... )

Regards,

Azulykit

Hello All!

I'm trying to design a log periodic antenna for the range 9-14GHz on PCB, using HFSS, now i neither have much experience with the HFSS nor I'm an expert in LPDA design, furthur no idea of PCB materials, so can any one please guide me or provide me related material/weblinks/attached file for the above said design??

regards
Kamal

I note that this thread was started some time ago.

There are a number of posts with advice and references. You could look here as well for one source of design software : https://antennadesignassociates.com/PCAAD6Manual.pdf

What are your specific questions? Do you have specific requirements besides wanting to build some kind of LPD? Show what you have done and show where you see gaps and then it may be practical to provide guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back