Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design of High Power Broadband Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajan_pec

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I want to design a Power Amplifier system having Basic requirements :
1. Frequency BW : 1GHz (UHF range)
2. RF output : 10W (linear)
3. Return Losses: -10dBm or less

Here challenge is to have constant gain over the 1GHz of Bandwidth.
I am browsing the vendor's websites n catalogs to get the device suiting my requirement.
Presently, I am able to get this type from Triquint semiconductors & RFMD.

I request members to contribute their ideas so that I can select the best device for my project.

Regards,
Rajan:grin:

1) I couldn't understand your your center frequency and percentage of bandwidth
2)10W is pretty low to use GaN transistor. You can look at semelab or triquint (as you said)
3) If you want to have low RL you can use a push pull transistor and a hybrid at the front
4) You can use minicircuit's gali74 or 84 for the input stage

Hi! I don't know about the selection device as far as high power transistors are concerned. But I can tell you that gain flattening techniques are available in literature. It is usually achieved by deliberate mismatching at the input or output. And since it is a power amplifier, you may not need very good input reflection coefficient. Still you can try to get both. Gonzalez or Besser's is a good book to refer.

Status
Not open for further replies.