Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design: Mixer : single balanced : Ratrace : question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamadJun

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to design a mixer [ input : Lo@1.9Ghz , IF@100Mhz ] [ output : RF@2Ghz ]

I used ratrace and designed it in ADS so it will work good enough @1.95Ghz ( the average of LO and RF)

now the next step is connecting diode and ...
I have some basic idea. I read Maas book. For example I will use Microstrip Radial Stub to get rid of LO and RF at IF port.

I first wanted to see how good my diodes (hp_HSMS2702 can not change it -university project ) are matched.
the first question pop up...
:?: 1. at which frequency ? I dont know my diodes should be matched? since the device is 3 port (check datasheet) it brings many question.

I guess IF port (the middle one) should be matched to Z0=50ohm @ 100Mhz and the others should be matched to Ring(rat race) impedance which is sqrt(2)*50ohm @1.95Ghz(average of Lo and RF).
but Im still not sure.

anyway I wanted to check S parameter of my diode and ...

I used many ways
I read from this forum that we should use LSSB so I used LSSB simulator @2Ghz ( correct me if im wrong)
like this
LSSP.jpg
and the result was like this
LSSP_res.jpg

which is really bad

I tried also HB
and used the formula = (V[8]+50*I.i[8])/(V[8]+50*I.i[8]) ===> index 8 corresponds to 2Ghz
HB.jpg
result:
HB_res.jpg

but the res look similar but the value are not the same because LSSB is using Z0 and I don't know how to compare these results?

:?: which one is correct?

now if I want to match the IF port the middle port of diodes to 50 ohm is it correct to do this and use S-simulation:
Sparam.jpg

which simulator should I use? S-parameter or LSSP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back