Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design about high speed comparator in sigma delta ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

megzhuy

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there anybody who can tell me how to determine the minimum gain in two order sigma delta ADC.

I think the compartator gain depend on your ADC's accuracy and application. If your ADC is used as DC measurement, I think the comparator's gain must be large.
If your two-order ADC's gain is Ads(quantization noise), then the comparator's offset must be less than 1LSB*Ads.

megzhuy said:
Is there anybody who can tell me how to determine the minimum gain in two order sigma delta ADC.
I also want to know the answer of this topic.
Below is my thought :
In nyquist rate comparator
said, if SNR required is 80dB, the minimal quantization noise is 1/10000 V= 0.1mV (if the signal is 1V). then ur comparator should be able to distinguish voltage difference level down to 0.1mV, i.e. gain >= 80dB.
In sigma delta comparator:
if SNR is 80dB, the quantization noise can be reduced by oversampling method and sigma-delta modulator.
SNRmax=6.02*N+1.76-12.9+50*log(OSR) ... for 2-order sigma-delta modulator. (from Martin's book)
where OSR is the oversampling ratio : fs/2f0, N is the bits (resolution) required for ur comparator.
So, let 80=6.02*N+1.76-12.9+50*log(OSR)
if OSR=64, N=0.13 ==> choose N=1
if OSR=32, N=2.6 ==> choose N=3
if OSR=16, N=5.13 ==> choose N=6

From the above, u only need a rough comparator (1 bit resolution) in OSR=64 situation. the equivalent gain of the comparator is 2.
if OSR=32, the gain of comparator is 2^3=8;
if OSR=16, the gain of comparator is 2^6=64;

hope this result will be helpful.

Reactions: adix

adix

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.