Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

design a variable gain amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamingo

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all:
Need to design a variable gain amplifier, gain range larger than 45dB, used in DTV receiver intermediate frequency amplifier(~40MHz), and the absoluate gain is between 15 - 60dB. Anyone has the experiences on this? what about the configuration, and the key point?
Thank you!

For VGA, normally the structures are switched resistance VGA on load or source resister chain, switched bias current VGA, such as gilbert cell based VGA. Also there are some cross couple load structure VGA which changes the load by adjust the cross coupled transistor pair. The key point may be how to achieve a large gain range or meet the so called dB linear type VGA.

flamingo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
pk3316 said:
For VGA, normally the structures are switched resistance VGA on load or source resister chain, switched bias current VGA, such as gilbert cell based VGA. Also there are some cross couple load structure VGA which changes the load by adjust the cross coupled transistor pair. The key point may be how to achieve a large gain range or meet the so called dB linear type VGA.

Actually, I have designed a VGA based on CMOS Gilbert cell but the gain range is only about 30~40dB. Due to the complexity of the circuits (some modifications make the Gilbert so huge, about 20 transistors), the noise floor is too high, so I need to alter my design. On the other hand, switching resistors network need digitial control, in my design I need to realize a continous gain control.
Another problem I encountered is how to realize high gain as about 60dB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back