Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design a SOC for DSC(digital still camera) !

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbiair

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,.

Who can tell me & teach me about design a SOC for DSC(digital still camera) ?

At first, about color space convert ( R,G,B to YUV or YCrCb),
AE(Auto exposure), AWB(Auto white balance),......
If you have any document or paper pls let me know, I real need it !

thanks a lot !

fbiair :oops: :D :eek:

For Color Space conversion, "Video Demystify, 3rd Edition" probably is a better choice. You can find this e-book at FM1. For AE and AWB, many good Image Processing books have those topics. In anyway, DSC needs intensive knowlege about color space conversion, image processing, image compression (such as JPEG and/or wavelet), and fast serial interface (such as USB, firewire).

rh1101

Hi friends,.

Who has any experience about SOC design for DSC area or color image
processing ?
I need your help and guide , if you have any suggestion or paper please let me know !
----- I am a freshman of IC design ! -------

Thanks to advance !

fbiair

I did one a few years ago.
It's a really tough job I met before.
I think the first thing you need to consider is the "architecture". What I mean is that you have to definitely know what kind of soluation you plan to provide to your customers, "hardwired", "programmable", or "hybrid"? The one I did is "hardwired". I took me about 360 man-months to achieve the final silicon, but it was not sold any piece out. It worked well, but lagger behind the market demand.
Thus, I suggest you to define the real customers' demand first, the algorithms you mentioned is not critical. Lots of image/video processing books cover the related topics.
I strongly recommand the AWB/AE/AF/Color processing algorithms is implemended by s/w not by h/w, since they really affect the picture quality baddly. For the view finding (video), some simple/hardwired approach can provide the acceptable video quality.
I think you really need the good luck to do this job.
BTW, choosing a powerful MCU will save you lots of time.

RGB to YUV can be implemented with analog chips (Op Amps ) Very easy and then digitized and process .
But in order to integrate all that .You could try the PSOC family from cypress ..Those Mixed-Signal chips are very powerful they are hybrids
ANALOG/DIGITAL

vsop said:
choosing a powerful MCU will save you lots of time.

Can I do all the jobs by a powerful DSP or MCU?
Which part of DSC functions need hareward if cost is not the issue?

jamesyang1209 said:
vsop said:
choosing a powerful MCU will save you lots of time.

Can I do all the jobs by a powerful DSP or MCU?
Which part of DSC functions need hareward if cost is not the issue?

COACH ic from zoran does exactely this: **broken link removed**

/pisoiu

All DSP functions can be done better and faster with a DSP processor.
I can recomand TI's DSP for extersive applications in video area. On their web site is a appl note for jpeg compression.

For making digital camera SOC ,
Please collect all IPS and verify them,
Please go through JPEG standard and learn some image processing fundamentals, , I think u yourself are not very sure of what to make , First make architecture and then proceed step by sep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back