Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Debugging a bug - crystal controlled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nina

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have several UHF "bugs" and I wish to understand several things:
All the bugs I have work on the 433MHz band. SMD components.
Several use a simple metallic case crystal, U49, and several use SMD, and I suppose they work on the third overtone and then doubled, meaning I think the crystals are around 87MHz. The SMD ones have 4 "legs" - no idea which kind of crystal is this one, or it may be even an oscillator I cannot debug it to know which kind of device is it. I need your help, maybe someone may know this device: 4 legs - one from each side, black, about 6mmx4mm. All I could do is to measure the frequency with a counter - at 3 legs it showed me 433.9MHz - but I'm not 100% sure it's not from the PCB. I'll be very thankful for any help - maybe a link to similar device.
As well, I'd like to know if when I order a crystal, I have to mention it's for the 3rd overtone.
Regards,
Nina [/u]

Re: Debbuging a bug - crystal controlled

does the device have a writing on it to give us a clue

or can you take photo with a camera or phone
and post it to view
:arrow: :D

Thank you for responding, VSMVDD.
I include 2 pictures, one of the board, the second of the device I've asked about.
By the way, it uses only 3 transistors.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I'll be very thankful for any help.

Four legs on a crystal--two are probably case ground. Take an ohm meter and see if two are connected internally, they would be the ground leads.

It is fairly possible that it is a saw resonator at 433 MHz (or possibly 480 MHz as stamped on the cover). Same deal, 2 of the 4 resonators would be ground, but may not be internally connected.

Thank you biff44,
It confuses me very much, as it is written 480 - no doubt, but it works on 433.9MHz - so it has no sense. As it uses only 3 transistors and 1 diode - which I guess it's a varicap (maibe a PIN diode), it's a "miracle"... 2 AF transistors and one (the one which you can see at the end of the PCB - and it's "deleted" or in any way I cannot read what is written on it) - I suppose it's an RF amp....
It doesn't make me any sense... But I'm not a "pro" in CCOs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back