Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DCS project - ideas, experiences and technical guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanaullah2015

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am currently enrolled in final year project.Since my interest was in Instrumentation and Process control so i thought to make a Distributed control system often now a days in process industry in monitoring and control.
But since i have no Exposure to any process industry nor have seen any DCS,i need expert people who can help me in completing this project.Concepts and New ideas will be appreciated.Let me elaborate my problem.
I have no idea how to implement a Distributed Control system practically as a prototype for my Final Year project. or a process plant actually.
Please guide me in Selecting parameter for control,For this selection of process is first required.Help me and give your ideas what process or mini plant can be made as a demo where any 2 or 3 control paramter can be conrolled.Since its a DCS, process should also obey the basic defination,If onc fail,the other go on so first the selection of process and then the selection of parameter to contorl and about RTU ? ( i mean the block containing controller ,actuator and signal Conditioning).I have option either to go for Zigbee from RTU unit to sensor,what consideration should i take ?
From Main control unit to RTU, there will be Ethernet, So a serial to ethernet convertor is to be used, i have no idea how much it cost? tell me anyone how much zigbee module cost?
Please make a proper picture and elaborate what should i do.
Keeping in mind that i also want to use Control valves and Digital PID CONTROLLER.
What should i go for controlling ? Microcontroller or PLC.? Is LOGO or any korean cheap Plc will be enough for controlling ?? since its a student funded project so budget issue remain present.
Also recommend sensors ? any link or tutorial or book relevant to selection or criteria of selecting a sensor in this application will be highly encouraged.
Please elaborate in ur answer
I hope a constructive and knowledge full answer from your end, covering each parts of this idea

People who worked in process industry, Please share your full experience.Even if you have any material, attach it ..Since its a beginner level understanding and Designing of DCS, Material relevant to DCS Basic training,Tutorials,Architecuture and simulation softwares and SCADA will be highly appreciated.
Looking forward...................

Conclusion:
A process is controlled and monitor from Main control room.What ideas, experiences and technical guides should i look for
I need urgent reply.
Thanks

Thanks

Re: DCS PROJECT CHOICE NEED HELP??

thanks
but i didnt get my require information.
pLEASE help me if anyone can
thanks

Hello,
ssince dcs system is very complicated because it has many crossdiscipline nature (software, electronics, control etc..). sure it is very hard to implement as graduate project.
but you can use it as small scope. to controll some parameter.
first, you need dcs package like( simatic pcs 7, experion pks, yokogawa centum) .
second you need communicaion system between components.
so this project is very huge.
so i suggest building scada project using package like CitectScada and connect it to plc .

Thanks ibrahim.
yeah its true,
Actually studying further the same project, I came to know that only making process controller and interfacing with a system for monitoring and control or buying a HMI touch screen panel for that can also be a alternate methhod, and it will just be YOU CAN CALL IT A BASIC mini DCS Demonstrator .... for begineer level ..if i m not wrong..USING some communication protocol..

Anyhow for my Final year, i then switch to Steam power generation plant , and its in process for approval....The argument it holds is the BUDGET.....lets seee what happ..
And if its not approved, then i will go for some small projects, though it was very much appealing to work on instrumentaion and control.

I need material relevant to these topics..If you can help be surely would be very grateful. I have already asked for in my main questions..Looking forward.
Brother, please post your email address if its possible for further Quieries.

Thanks for ur reply..

okay sure i help as i can
you can post your email and then i send my email

Hellow ibrahim..
I m looking forward ............................:)

DCS PROJECT CHOICE NEED HELP??

sanaullah2015,
If you have access to a DCS the easiest is to simulate a process using the DCS (every PID controller will do) and then control it using the same DCS. Using logical or sequential control you could add random noise and disturbances to your process model and implement some control strategy as well. All this could be displayed in a real time process diagram. I'm not sure that you will have time to put a real control application together - unless you have access to all the hardware.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back