Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Variable supply design help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jami007

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I'm trying to make a simple Variable DC power supply, and simulating it in Proteus and stuck on the value of a resistor R8 in the schematic,

Specs are 1.2V - 35 V supply and appx. 4mA - 3A,

may be the problem is due to the orignal components not found in Proteus, so I need your help.

Origibal Q1 is MJ4502 and D1 and D2 are 1N457

schematic and isis files attached

Attachments

• variable supply.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 126
  • variable supply.zip
    17.5 KB · Views: 94

Dear jami
Hello
At first step , you can use another parts .
At second step , is it important to you , making your aim , with this circuit , or you can change it with better circuits ?
If you want design better type , i can help you .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Ofcourse I'll go with the better design. can you please post some schematics for lab/professional use power supplies

Well , what do you want accurately ? Switching power supply or linear power supply ? and what current and voltage do you need at your out put and describe the specifications that you need on your power supply , thus i can post many power supply circuits that i have designed them , or i can tell you the way of their design .
Good luck
Goldsmith

It is not so simple, specialy low voltage and high current output. I'll check in my documentation stock.

Regards

Basically I need a variable power supply for experimental purposes, means I need it to feed circuits being examined or under development ,
my preferences are as following

1- minimum voltage as possible upto 30-50V
2- minimum current in mA upto 3-5A or more
3- economical and efficent/ ripple free
4- fault or high current protection/ all possible protections

In conclusion I need an efficient variable supply for home Lab/Professional purposes

Also if you can help me in providing with schematic of Solar Charge control, it will be greatfull

Best regars

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

One more thing,Supply should have analogue ouput current and voltage meters/ simple digital meters

Hello jami
I have many many circuits about power supplies .( because i love them !!)
Try below circuit :
Linear power supply.JPG
You can control the output voltage from 0 volt ( approx )( in fact from 20mv) up to 45 volt as well as . and the out put current is about 0 up to 4.99 amperes .
Good luck
Goldsmith

here is the simulation model of your supply, but I failed to control output voltage and current.

Attachments

• Linear supply.PDF
    35.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Linear supply.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 91

hello jami
I think your simulator has some problem , because i simulated it with PSpice before posting for you .
By the way . i think the problem is here : you forgot to add a 5 volt power supply to the input of op amp . you just used a potentiometer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck
Goldsmith

first i used supply on inputs of op-amps, but output remains same, and if we use a supply on their inputs then how can we vary the output voltage and current

Daer Jami
The out put voltage formula is : vref (1+R5/R6) . and if you try to change the vref or R5 , thus the out put voltage will change . sp it means that should change the vref (V2) . do you know how ?!
Ok , now see below figures , that i changed the out put voltage in them , please :

Good luck
Goldsmith

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Last edited:

By varying Vref the output vary between 33v and 45v, and at 4v Vref I get variable output between 35v t0 44v like a ripple

What are you doing ? I can't understand that why you can not earn success ? if you change the vref from zero up to six volt , you will have the out put voltage from zero up to 50 volt ! .How did you try to change the vref ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See below , please:
pot.JPG
Best Regards
Goldsmith

Dear dselec
Hi
How are you ?
As you can see at the original question he want make a variable power supply for experiment the circuits . ( up to 50 volt and up to 5 amp ) but your attachments are constant voltage .
Respectfully
Goldsmith

here are the respective outputs at various reference voltages

Attachments

• output 1.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 87
  • output 2.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 105
  • output 3-unstable varying bw 37v-45v.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 87
  • output 4.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 114

Ooops . sorry my friend . the problem is that you should change the collector and emitter of PNP transistor .
Good luck
Goldsmith

by swaping this PNP transistor it shows constant 48v output

did you change the vref ?

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

my mean by vref is v2 in my latest attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back