Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC to DC regulation with microprocessor variable setpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidtryzbiak

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm designing a 20 amp DC to DC regulator/controller with microprocessor variable voltage setpoint. The conflicting thing is that the unit runs on 750 amp hours worth of lead acid batteries that are being float charged all the time. I want to set the output voltage at whatever I need it to be depending on the length of the wires to the flashing lights, maybe 300 feet. The majority of the time, the output will be constant but if the utility power goes out and there is no generator, I do not want the controller to cut the voltage. These are safety lights so I want whatever power I can get at the lights for safety reasons. Whats the best controller chip or circuit to do this.

I want short protection.

Thanks

I suppose you are considering a switched-coil converter? Step up or step down? If you need both, then a buck-boost will do the job.

A single potentiometer ought to be sufficient to let you adjust the voltage to the load.

20A is great enough current that you might consider interleaving multiple converters. A microcontroller may be able to provide all needed control signals.

Will the lights always be the same type and quantity? Incandescent? LED's? If it is LED's then you might do better by regulating current to them, rather than try to set an exact voltage across 300 feet of wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.