Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC-to-AC inverter, ac-power-control-with-thyristor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatima12

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm a student. I have a project & I don't know how to do it.
I have to make an inverter (12 Volts DC to AC converter) , then control the output voltage using a thyristor.
Any hints how to make it?

I searched Google & found this weblog :

https://tahmidmc.blogspot.com/2013/07/ac-power-control-with-thyristor.html

but it's filtered for me so I can not access it.
Could you please PDF it with the pictures [...]?

- - - Updated - - -

@gauravkothari23
@ssquared
@nomigoraya

Last edited by a moderator:

The link is of no value.

Define you load impedance , voltage and peak current desired.
compute effective transformer input Z, V, I peak and its source and switch R in order to sustain the voltage within 5 to 10% output range at full load. This determines what's needed for parts.

There is a simple but brute force method of switching at 50 or 60 Hz with the right core that will not saturate or get too hot but requires your source impedance to be 5 to 10% or less than the ZLoad/n². for turns ratio 1:n. but switches using tri level method using square current steps with harmonics. Using phase controlled pulses for V+,0V,V- using a SPDT full bridge with MOSFETs.

A more elegant way is to use SMPS HF method to upconvert DC-DC then PWM HVDC to AC with smaller passive parts due to higher switching f to yield a sine wave. But more complex but low source impedance output improves load regulation and PWM sine eliminates harmful lossy harmonics, whereas the PWM rate can be filtered easily with LC filter and CM choke.

So start by defining your test/design specs, then choose parts or existing design. TI and LTI and many other sites have standard designs to choose from.

Thyristors are AC phase controlled switches which are pulse triggerd or >1.5V with zero current crossing turn off. Then there are gate turn off switches but MOSFETS and IGBT's are preferred today.

or Did you mean AC to DC? with thrystor?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.