Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC power communication using Power Line Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapioca

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need help in designing a circuit for DC power communication using Power Line Communication. I will be using the ICs ST7538 and TDA5051A. The datasheets provide information to connect it to an AC supply. But I need to connect it to DC supply. Also, datasheet doesn't give ratings of all components.
If anyone has any information about these circuits, please let me know.

This chip is intended for AC communication. I don't think it will work over DC lines since you need to couple a signal through a transformer. You'll need a different approach for DC communication -- perhaps 1-wire communications. Our company uses a technique of modulating the DC power rail with a serial signal (essentially grounding the power which is sourced through a resistor) and the power source detects the signal by monitoring the resistor's voltage drop. We're using this only as a one-way flow but it could be bidirectional albeit half-duplex. A lot depends on your specific requirements:

1. What is the length of the communication line?
  2. How many receivers?
  3. Speed of communication?
  4. Full- or half-duplex?

This chip is intended for AC communication. I don't think it will work over DC lines since you need to couple a signal through a transformer. You'll need a different approach for DC communication -- perhaps 1-wire communications. Our company uses a technique of modulating the DC power rail with a serial signal (essentially grounding the power which is sourced through a resistor) and the power source detects the signal by monitoring the resistor's voltage drop. We're using this only as a one-way flow but it could be bidirectional albeit half-duplex. A lot depends on your specific requirements:

1. What is the length of the communication line?
  2. How many receivers?
  3. Speed of communication?
  4. Full- or half-duplex?

Actually, it is possible to connect the chip to DC line. The only thing one have to keep in mind is that DC power lines may have a very low HF
impedance, because of the filtering capacitors that can be used (filtering cap. of the power supply, decoupling cap., etc.). If such capacitors are used, it could be mandatory to "isolate" these "HF bridges" by adding some inductors in series in the power line. Of course, these inductors will have to sustain the nominal current of the fitting. The inductor value can be chosen in the 50 to 100uH range, depending on how much the impedance should be increased.
I just don't know how exactly to connect it.

Your best bet would be to check with the manufacturer. If there is a way of doing this they will be the ones to know how.

i need help in designing a circuit for dc power communicint6400-int1400ation using power line communication. I will be using the ics st7538 and tda5051a. The datasheets provide information to connect it to an ac supply. But i need to connect it to dc supply. Also, datasheet doesn't give ratings of all components.
If anyone has any information about these circuits, please let me know.

int6400-int1400

Status
Not open for further replies.