Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] DC offset remova and phase issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawbus

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DC offset removal and phase issues

The current filter I use is from the Xilinx app note on dc offset removal. However, it adds a noticeable phase shift to my signal of 9 degrees at the highest frequency, and around 40 degrees at the lowest. I am comparing this signal with a square wave and the phase is very important. I am sampling around 100 MHz and the signal is anywhere from 10 to 100 KHz. The square wave is the same frequency and is generated internally. The dc offset is not a constant.

A variable tap shift seems too expensive resource wise. Is there another good way to filter the signal?

Last edited:

Re: DC offset removal and phase issues

That dc removal method is comparable to a first order analog filter.
Having a 40 degree phase shift means that you are very close to the time constant of the filter.
A simple solution is just to lower the corner frequency - this probably means you have to use more bits in the registers.
Another solution may be an higher order IIR filter - you need some DSP background for this.

By the way: you said you are "comparing" the signal to an internal square wave of the same frequency.
If you are going to do a synchronous demodulation the offset automagically disappears!

Reactions: rawbus

rawbus

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: DC offset removal and phase issues

Ah yes, more bits. I suppose I should have tried that earlier. I was going between 8 and 12 and didn't notice much of a difference but 20 seems to fix it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back