Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC motor drive using L298

Status
Not open for further replies.

furqankaimkhani

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are trying to use L298 to drive two motors, forward and backwards, using PIC16f877A.
We just tested the motor by providing it the I/p. It did work for the first time.
But now, when we try to turn it on. It does not work. We see that the IC looks fine.
It does not have any signs of burning.
We do not wish to control the current right now, since our power supply is just a 9 volt simple battery.
So, we just gave a direct ground to the current sensing pins 1 and 15.
We have connected +ve volts through PIC to the Pin 6 and 11.
Earlier when the IC worked, We had not connected the capacitors in parallel with the Vs and Vss on pins 4 and 9 respectively.

Are you sure that the motor hasn't been damaged and that the battery is able to provide the needed current for the motor?
Have you connected pin9 to 5v?
Do you provide the steps to the L298 inputs?

Alex

Hi,
You mean from a 9 volt battery as in the image:
Battery.jpg
If yes have you checked the battery? Is it alive and can feed to the motor?. What type of motor you are using?. Another question (may you take it as STUPID question BUT) is the Battery capable of driving the motor?

Yes Raza and Alexan_e! the battery is capable of driving the motor. And the battery was alive. and we had connected the pin 9 to 5 volts. But we did not use the capacitor in parallel. But, as i mentioned earlier, it worked earlier, although the capacitor was absent.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Steps to the i/p? I thought we just have to provide 5 volts DC signal from our microcontroller. Steps means what?

HI,
Did you check the motor on direct connection to a 5 volts supply?. Is your Microcontroller exiting the output signal?
Check the motor working separately first please and then the Microcontroller's output signal and the L298's output without connecting motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.