Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC light bulb and battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofinhk

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
12v15cp bulb

Hi all,

I am helping my friend in doing a basic electricity demostration in kindergarten. We would like to show to the children that when we insert the battery to the circuit, the light bulb switches on. I bought a 12W light bulb in a shop, and I would like to buy a AA battery holder to hold the battery. However, there is a question in my mind. How can I make sure to provide sufficient voltage to the circuit by AA batteries, or any other requirement I have to fulfill so that the light bulb is bright enough but not burning it? Thanks in advance.

Regards

12v15cp

hi...

Most of the time, the specs of a bulb is printed on the metal body. for a flaslight bulb that use 2AA bateries this bulb rating is 2.5volts most of the time.

"The idea is not to exceed the rated voltage witten on the bulb or in its box."

hope this helps...

:D

12v15cp bulb watt

I got a number from the body of the light bulb, which is "12V15CP", what does it mean? is that 12V instead of 12W?

good day!

That would be 12 volts. Where do you bought this bulb, If you bought the bulb from an auto supply, it is 12 volts. you will need atleast 10pcs of AA batery to have this buld gives you a good light.

Maybe you can show me a picture of this bulb and help you design a better presentation. I have done that when i was in elementary school.

:D
blastronics

tofinhk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
tofinhk,
The 12V15C is a 12Volt 15 Watt Bulb. It will draw 15/12 = 1.25 Amperes with 12V applied. For your demonstration, you would be better off buying a 3V flashlight bulb and use two 1.5 V batteries in series to roduce 3V.
Regards,
Kral

tofinhk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Seems that your bulb is operated by accumulator, which is kinda dangerous to operate for a basic electricity demonstration in kindergarten.
I suggest to use Kral suggestion regarding this demonstration.
That's seems harmless for the kids..

Regards
erp not emp

I think the kids would be more amaze by a 100kv tesla coil.

Try to use a LED for the demo. It will be more easire to work with

Status
Not open for further replies.