Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC gain and DC offset of a voltage follower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazer

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have 2 stage OPamp with DC gain=90dB. After configured as below, the overall open-loop gain become 50dB.
But the dc offset still lower than 0.2mV, why almost no difference?
Does DC gain (open-loop gain) has a direct relation to DC offset?
GOP.jpg

DC input offset of an OP has to be measured under specific conditions. Observed input difference voltage is also affected by other OP parameters and operation conditions, e.g. common mode rejection and actual common mode voltage, loop gain and output voltage.

As you are biasing input voltage and output load to mid supply, these additional effects are cancelled.

The open loop (or closed-loop) gain has little or no effect on the input offset, which is primarily caused by processing mismatch between the differential input transistors.

So as a voltage follower, the dc gain of opamp is not a critical spec?
Thanks for all the answer.

Depends on your specification and operation parameters. Did you check how the "offset" changes when you vary the input voltage? Loading a high output impedance OP with 500 ohm load isn't a good idea, I think. I suppose the voltage swing will be rather limited.

The voltage gain of a voltage follower is exactly 1.00 so that the output voltage is the same as the input voltage but with input offset voltage added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back