Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC fans with low starting voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstein

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an application where the main power source needs to be a Alkaline AA battery (0.8V to 1.8V). So, I'll have a small boost converter to supply 3V to a cortex-m3 microcontroller.

The application needs to drive a small fan (20-60mm) that only needs to put out a very small CFM (<1.0cfm). Therefore, any fan that can reliably start at 3VDC should be sufficient.

I've played with a couple of 12VDC fans from ADDA that seem to start reliably at 4VDC, but 3VDC seems to be on the boarder.

So my question is, is there a fan out there with a very low starting voltage? Or am I really needing to bite the bullet and drop another boost converter on the board (not ideal)?

Thanks!

I think you need a ckt. driver ckt. If that so then try drive your fan from your PSU & control your fan with the aid of mP.

I think, most fan ratings are start from 5V. If you give lower than 5V means, it lower the speed of the fan or some one stopped. So may use a voltage booster to convert your 3V supply to 5 or 6V, then you can start the Fan without any performance degradation.

Have you tried any 5V fans?

On Digikey I was able to find 3V fans. So I'm sure they exist, it's just a matter of price, since they not used as often.

Status
Not open for further replies.