Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Fan control using NI - DAQ 6009 analog output

Status
Not open for further replies.

moreins

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys

I have a DC fan that works between 3 and 10 volts and needs 1A. I need to control it using a daq 6009 by varying the output voltage at the analog output of the daq. i am well aware that the daq cannot give the necessary current that the fan needs, so i need a power stage that isolates the daq and the fan so i dont damage the daq (which has only 5mA on its analog output)

can anyone give me some ideas of what should i use to give the current i need to use the fan? i heard about a current buffer but i have no idea about it

thanks!

Connect a darlington transistor at the output of the DAQ (may be a TIP122) configured as voltage follower. Probably you´ll need to increase the amplitude of the signal too (use an op-amp) to do that. Also you must add some protection (a snubber) and provide an external power suplly.

hey! thanks for your reply
since i will be working with DC all the time, and the daq gives me the voltage (not the current) that the fan needs (3 - 10 Volts), do you really think i should use a opamp and a snubber??

thanks!

If the DAQ output voltage is enough you don´t need to amplify it. A snubber (RC circuit or something else) is allways necessary when driving inductive loads.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.