Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC DC startup circuit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

northeast1

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, All
I have design the DC DC converter, In the simulation I find when I start up the circuit( power on), the current is large (10 A) at beginning, and then become normal(100mA), So I need to design current protection circuit or soft start up circuit, any one can provide some material or paper or books.

really appreciate.

Best regards
Ben

in general, there are a power on reset (POR) concept, when power reach level that you needed, then the circuit begin to work. this circuit can be detect by resistor divide or RC delay circuit.

10A? oh my god , do you believe the start up circuit is no problem?

northeast1 said:
Hi, All
I have design the DC DC converter, In the simulation I find when I start up the circuit( power on), the current is large (10 A) at beginning, and then become normal(100mA), So I need to design current protection circuit or soft start up circuit, any one can provide some material or paper or books.

really appreciate.

Best regards
Ben

10A? It is a too large current. Are you sure it is real? some times it is an algorithmic problem. If you use spectre, you can change options.

you are probably charging a capacitor in your converter .. this is the 10A peak current.

if your cap is huge then you either design to accept 10Apeak or put in a soft start circuit.

google for: converter "soft start" schematic

Mr.Cool

Mr.Cool said:
you are probably charging a capacitor in your converter .. this is the 10A peak current.

if your cap is huge then you either design to accept 10Apeak or put in a soft start circuit.

google for: converter "soft start" schematic

Mr.Cool

got it , thanks very much

the solution for soft-start:

Use a ramp signal to replace the Vref for your PWM control, until the Vout is OK. Then switch the reference to constant Vref. By doing so, you won't see any overshoot at Vout any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back