Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dc - Dc pv emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyo

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have a gradution project to design a pv emulator based on dc to dc converter and plot the i -v curve on pc , my prof needs to design the system as in the following circuit and use a dc source instead of using a real pv solar panel.

IMG-20210409-WA0000.jpg

Can i build such a system ?
Any suggestion could help me ?

Hi,
Can i build such a system ?
Any suggestion could help me ?
I don´t know if you can.

Suggestion:
You ask a very general question. A fourm can not replace school, nor reading aplication notes, tutorials, descriptions....
You need to do this on your own.
There is more than plenty information around.

We don´t know what to reply because the task seems to include: Schematic, regulation concept, software, communication, PC program (GUI), algorithms, mathematics and so on....
We don´t know on which item you need help

Generally, as with all projects:
Divide the task into smaller tasks.
Do internet search, write down your ideas, draw sketches...No need to be perfect.

Best help we can give is when you ask detailed questions.

Klaus

Yes such a system can be designed and built - you need to do a A LOT of reading ...

I devised a computer program to plot my test data, measured from a real photovoltaic panel loaded by real resistors of various ohm values. The graph shows Volts, Amperes and Watts.

The outcome is about what we'd expect: low A high V, low V high A.
Max Watts is at a midway position. (My panels were rated 12V 64W.)

A PV model ought to resemble these plots. I have tried but didn't find an easy way to simulate PV panels.
64W panel in sun graphs.png

The simple emulation would be a current source
(the photocurrent) imposed on a large diode
(the I-V profile). The DC-DC would provide the
controlled current. I'd pick a current-mode-controlled
IC with enough access to the internals that you can
make it a voltage (for illuminance) controlled
current source.

The simple emulation would be a current source
(the photocurrent) imposed on a large diode
(the I-V profile).
The physical model is appropriate for a low power range but less suitable for emulation of large solar panels because it involves considerable diode power dissipation. A DC/DC based solution as sketched in post #1 has however limitations in dynamic behaviour. You'd need to specify dynamic requirements if you want e.g. to operate the emulator with MPP tracking solar converters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back