Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dc dc converters microcontroller controlled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant17

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys i was hoping you might be able to help me i want to achieve from 12vdc in 180vdc out but i need it so that the voltage level a micro controller can alter the voltage level if you could help i would be greatful

* You'll need to make it impossible for the microcontroller to be exposed to 180V.

* You'll need to start out with a gating waveform at a high duty cycle (managed by the microcontroller). Eventually the output voltage will rise to 180V. Then you will reduce the duty cycle.

* You'll need to divide down the output voltage, to a range of 0 to 5V, so it can be measured by the microcontroller.

* Since a 180V reference voltage is not available to compare your output to, you will need to create a scaled down unchanging reference voltage.

hi thanks for your reply i need to suply at least 6 amps dc to the rest of the circuit which is a type metal detector iam working on

hi thanks for your reply i need to suply at least 6 amps dc to the rest of the circuit which is a type metal detector iam working on

At 180VDC, this works out to 1080 watts.

This means your 12V supply must provide 90 A. Add 20 percent for losses. Say 110 A.

Rather than a single converter, it could work better if you interleave several boost converters.

There are metal detector designs which run on less power, just a few small batteries.

At 180VDC, this works out to 1080 watts.

This means your 12V supply must provide 90 A. Add 20 percent for losses. Say 110 A.

Rather than a single converter, it could work better if you interleave several boost converters.

There are metal detector designs which run on less power, just a few small batteries.
so i am bit unsure on dc to dc converters especially setup boost converters and there power and voltage transformation ratio are like especially something that would deliver 12vdc in and 180vdc out

Your step-up ratio is 15x. It's an extreme jump for a single boost converter.

Did you consider other topologies?

Example, full-H-bridge could be more efficient at the power level you're talking about.

this idea is to generate the 180v i don't think a 12v input to full bridge designed correctly would give me 180volts especially when vcc is only 12 v

What about just paralleling full bridge converters till each has a manageable current.
Then adjust your vout by having an external error amplifier(s) driving the pwm chip.....make the reference voltage into the external error amplifier variable , commanded by the micro, that will give you vout variation.

What about just paralleling full bridge converters till each has a manageable current.
Then adjust your vout by having an external error amplifier(s) driving the pwm chip.....make the reference voltage into the external error amplifier variable , commanded by the micro, that will give you vout variation.

ok thanks i will give that some thought

Status
Not open for further replies.