Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC-DC Converter Design with MAX618

Status
Not open for further replies.

otuzsubat

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
max618

I need a up converter which has up to 28V input voltage and 12-20V adjustible output voltage. The properties of max618 Ok. But it has a max. 1W package. The typical aplication circuit is below. How can i improve output power of max618. I need your ideas. Thanks..

My friend,
how can you expect to use a step-up converter for an input voltage greater than the output one?Not possible.
If the output voltage may be under and over the input voltage,you should use an inverting converter or a flyback with a transformer.
By the way,if the chip dissipates 1W,then the output power may be even 7-10W.

Oh! i made a mistake. I have a 12 batteryand a solar panel which have max. 16V output voltage. When sun goes down the output voltage of panel decreases. I want to stabilize the output voltage about 20V and charge battery by this way. Normaly i use a relay in charging circuit. Instead of relay i want to use max618. But the package of max618 is too small. I don't think that it stands high charging current. I want to use max618 because the efficiency of charging circuit is very important for me.

For higher output power you should use a step-up controller with external MOSFET istead of a converter which have internal MOSFET.

The name "controller" is often used when it requires an extrnal MOSFET, while "converter" is used when it has integrated MOSFET (and sometimes diode too).

When you use an controller with external MOSFET all the power is dissapated in the MOSFET, so you should just select an MOSFET with low RDSon which can handle the power.

Try to look at MAX668 or similar controller instead:
Just use a schematic similar to Figure 4 of the daasheet.

MAX668, MAX669
1.8V to 28V Input, PWM Step-Up Controllers in µMAX
Flexible Converters Offer Step-Up, SEPIC, Flyback and Isolated Topologies. MAX668 Output Voltages Limited Only by External Component Ratings.
www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1901
1.8V Minimum Start-Up Voltage (MAX669)
Wide Input Voltage Range (1.8V to 28V)
Tiny 10-Pin µMAX Package
Current-Mode PWM and Idle Mode™ Operation
Efficiency Over 90%
Adjustable 100kHz to 500kHz Oscillator or SYNC Input
220µA Quiescent Current
Logic-Level Shutdown
Soft-Start

**broken link removed**

Read this too, if you wan't to make the MAX668 even more efficient:
Simple Change Improves PFM Boost-Controller Efficiency
Modification to the standard PFM boost-controller circuit provides a 5% efficiency improvement at medium and light loads.
**broken link removed**

where ican find this ic

john_b said:
where ican find this ic

You can order samples directly from Maxim's website.
It's free!!!

thanks for your replies. i will try this ic's. maxim realy sends free samples. before i tried max618 and max 1771 by this way. you should fill a form to order free samples. you can find the form in maxim's site.

The suggested MOSFET FDS6680 can also be orederd as free sample from Fairchild and the suggested schottky diode MBRS340T3 can be ordered as free sample from ON Semiconductor.
Coils, capacitors and resistors can also be ordered as free samples from various vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back