Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Brushless fan question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshanef

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have PCI-E Graphic card (XFX-GT220) which has DC 12Volt 0.8Amp Brushless fan. This fan has broken, and I can not find same new fan. I have another working Fan which is DC 12Volt 0.12Amp Brushless fan.
Now I want to ask can I install 0.12 Amps fan in place of 0.8 Amps.

Thanks in Advance.

The replacement draws much less power than the broken fan. No doubt it moves less air. Components might overheat.

However...

Do you know if the fan is controlled by a thermal sensor, which regulates fan speed according to temperature of the pcb?

If that is the case, then maybe it runs the fan only as fast as is necessary. Perhaps it ran the 0.8A fan at slower speed, but it might run the 0.12A fan at higher speed. In that case your replacement could do the job.

I recommend touching your finger to the pcb to see if any component is getting too hot to touch. If so then I would call the fan inadequate.

Thanks @BradtheRad,
(Fan is placed over the Heatsink.)
I have done it, and I checked the temperature at least 3 hours and it is in normal range(45 Celsius), I played high graphics games and temperature is just 50 Celsius.
With original broken Fan it had 65 Celsius during normal usage, it works for me perfectly!

Nvidia(Manufacturer) say, 60 to 85 Celsius is Normal temperature for Graphic cards.

sorry, I don't know whether or not fan is controlled by a thermal sensor, but it is 2-Wire fan.

50 deg. C = 122 F. This is not bad.

It sounds as though the replacement is up to the task.

Guess you already know for best results, to clean dust off the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.