Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

datasheet of electronic components

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
datasheets and part numbers of electronic components

Hi

I was learning about the datasheets and part numbers of electronic components. An an example you can have a look on the datasheet of 1N4001-1N4007 (part numbers) diode here.

1: Is this possible that the datasheet of one manufacturer for, say, 1N4001 could differ from the other?

2: Do the diode families differ by their ampere rating? At least it looks like this from this table. The family 1N400x and the family 1N540x operate at 1A and 3A respectively; and the members of the same family operate at different voltages.

3: Could you please list some manufactures which are most popular for making electronic components? I believe Fairchild is one of them.

I'm very much grateful for your help and time.

Regards
PG

1: It is unfortunately true

2: It is true too ( components and family numberings are allways not logical )

3: **broken link removed**

Reactions: PG1995

PG1995

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
1: Yes they could be different, but it case of diode 1N400X this differences will be insignificant. The most important parameters remain unchanged.

PG1995

1: Is this possible that the datasheet of one manufacturer for, say, 1N4001 could differ from the other?
yes it depends upon type of meterial used for semicunductor.present days 1n4007 are much more reliable than the 15years older ones. previous ones where bit leaky

3: Could you please list some manufactures which are most popular for making electronic components? I believe Fairchild is one of them.
st-sgsthomson
lt-linear technology
ti-texas instrument
cxa-sony electronics
bel-bharat electrocics limited

PG1995

Hi, again, :)

Please help me with the queries below. And I would request you to keep you replies simple. Thank you.

1: I believe the most important common parameter in the 7400 series is that it uses TTL. Please correct me.

2: I was reading Wikipedia article about pinout which I couldn't understand. Could you please put in simple and short words?

3: The following is from a Wikipedia article. My question is about the red part. I don't know what temperature has to do with the designation "74". In my humble opinion it should simply identify that it belongs to 7400 series. But perhaps 7400 series in itself has something to do with the temperature.

The part numbers for 7400 series logic devices often use the following naming convention, though specifics vary between manufacturers.

First, although sometimes omitted, a two or three letter prefix which indicates the manufacturer of the device (e.g. SN for Texas Instruments, DM for National Semiconductor) although these codes are no longer closely associated with a single manufacturer, for example Fairchild Semiconductor manufactures parts with MM and DM prefixes, and none.

A two-figure secondary prefix, of which the two most common are "74", indicating a commercial temperature range device and "54", indicating an extended (military) temperature range

Up to four letters describing the logic subfamily, as listed above (e.g. "LS" or "HCT").

Two or more digits assigned for each device, e.g. 00 for a quad 2-input NAND gate. There are hundreds of different devices in each family. The allocation of device numbers (and, with a few exceptions, the pin-outs) of the original 7400 family was carried across to the later families, and new numbers allocated for new functions, plus some of the competing CD4000 numbers and pin-outs were included over time. There is no pattern to the allocation of these numbers. The function and pin-out of the chip is nearly always the same for the same device number regardless of subfamily manufacturer – exceptions are discussed below.

Additional suffix letters and numbers may be attached to indicate the package type, quality grade, or other information, but this varies widely by manufacturer.

For example SN74ALS245N means this is a device probably made by Texas Instruments (SN), it is a commercial temperature range TTL device (74), it is a member of the "advanced low-power Schottky" family (ALS), and it is a bi-directional eight-bit buffer (245) in a plastic through-hole DIP package (N).

4: I have seen some 7400 series ICs such as 74LS00 with 14 pins. Are the number of pins always "14". I don't think so.

5: I think 7400 series implements different kinds of technologies used to manufacture transistors used in the ICs such as bipolar, MOSFET, etc. I think the one I saw on the net used bipolar technology because it used the label "Vcc".

Thank you very much for helping me with the queries above.

Regards
PG

Hi PG.

1. the '74' may refer to the first devices being designed around 1974 but in general it is just used as a prefix for TTL logic gates. You will also see '54' (which obviously doesn't refer to a date!) used for the industrial temperature versions of '74' devices. There is also the '75' series used as interfaces and the '76' series which are analog devices. For the most part, the manufacturers just use letters or numbers of their choice, they don't actually mean anything.

2. Pinout just describes which physical pin (1, 2, 3...) is connected to the electronic part inside the package. For example it might say pin 7 is ground, pin 8 is the output and pin 11 is the input. It just references the internal connections with the pin position on the body of the device.

3. As in question 1. the numbers are only a manufacturers catalog number, they don't refer to a particular temperature. Most manufacturers make 'commercial' and 'industrial' versions (such as 74 and 54) of the same devices. In most cases they are EXACTLY the same device from the same production line, they just test some at higher and lower temperatures than others and if they still work properly they class them as industrial. If they fail at extremes of temperature but work at say 0 - 60C they class them as commercial.

4. No, they can have any number of pins although I think 14 is minimum for the 74 series, there are some with as many as 40 pins.

5. All the basic 74 series are bipolar but they proved so successful that when other technologies became available they often copied the numbering system. The common ones are:

74 - bipolar, the 'standard' series,
74L - bipolar but special low power versions, usually much slower in operation.
74S - bipolar with special 'Shottky' diodes inside them which makes them run much fater but also use more power.
74LS - bipolar with low power and Shottky parts, they give a good compromise of speed and power. This is the most popular type of 74 device.
74C - CMOS versions with the same logic functions as the bipolar type with the same last numbers. These are very low power but also quite slow. They do not use the same input voltages as the bipolar versions.
74HC - CMOS, faster versions of the 'C' types,
74HCT - CMOS, like the 'C' version but adapted to use the same voltages as bipolar types so it is easier to mix them in a single circuit.

There are other kinds as well but those are the most common ones. When you see 'Vcc' is usually means bipolar, the equivalent in CMOS would be labeled 'Vdd'.

Brian.

PG1995

When you see 'Vcc' is usually means bipolar, the equivalent in CMOS would be labeled 'Vdd'.
It happens, that 74HC etc. series uses VCC rather than VDD, although the devices are not bipolar. You'll notice the same with a lot of CMOS devices. In other words, relying on just the name "VCC" has a good chance to jump into conclusions.

PG1995

Thank you very much for the help, Brian, FvM.

Regards
PG

Hi, again :)

Now I understand how an IC's pins are numbered. But I wanted to know if the position power pins fixed. For example, in the IC below, pins numbered "7" and "14" are for power. Someone was saying that the pin lying opposite of pin #1 is +ve power pin, while the last pin in the same row as pin #1 is ground pin. I'm not sure if the same holds true for other types of ICs. Please let me know. Thanks.

**broken link removed**

The supply "corner pinning" has been introduced with TTL standard logic and adapted for several logic families. But it has no general validity.

PG1995

Status
Not open for further replies.