Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Data RAM interfacing for 8051

Status
Not open for further replies.

ark5230

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using Atmel 89S51 microcontroller.
The applicaion has to save some 800 bytes (say 1KB) of data during operation.
What is the easiest way to save this data.
I prefer working in assembly.
A non volatile memory solution will also work but I am not acquainted with NVRAM / EEPROM read write process and usage.
Any suggestion about memory component and its implementation please.

You have several options, the "easiest" method depends largely on the type of interface methods you are most familiar. If non-volatility is important then my recommendation would be the following:

For parallel interface utilize a NVRAM or Battery Backed SRAM like STMicroelectronics NVRAM which requires essentially the same interface for a normal Static RAM IC.

For both I2C and SPI utilize one of the many Serial EEPROMs available on the market, with storage capacities of 1Mbits or higher available. Atmel manufactures serial EEPROMs with both interfaces as well.

BigDog

Thanks for the useful information. One thing I wish to understand is that whether I2C memories require precise timing control like serial communication for bit-wise data transfer? Please provide a link to understand this issue to an extent that I can implement serial EEPROM using my own simple PCB (Vegakit) with 89S51 / 89S52 like microcontroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.