Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

damaged lead acid batteries in UPS systems-advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

calling

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
UPS battery damaged

Hi,

I have a UPS system which uses sealed lead acid batteries 12V 100Ah.
All the batteries are damaged and I can't understand why. They all have lead sulfate in the negative terminal.
Can anyone explain me why did this happened?

Thank you.

UPS battery damaged

A lead acid battery gets sulphated if it sits uncharged for a few months. It will self-discharge by itself in a few months without being charged.

Maybe the charger is broken.

UPS battery damaged

Battery's get damaged probably due to over charging , or insufficient charging, or passage of time. You didnt mention how old are the battery's. Cheers

Re: UPS battery damaged

pranam77 said:
Battery's get damaged probably due to over charging , or insufficient charging, or passage of time. You didnt mention how old are the battery's. Cheers

The batteries are about 1/2 year old I think.

What I think that is strange is the fact that all the batteries have the same problem. The protection around the negative terminal burst and the mixture of lead sulfate with sulfuric acid got off the batteries.

UPS battery damaged - lead sulfate in the negative terminal

for 6 months you will get warranty

rajudp said:
for 6 months you will get warranty
No...naturally the said problem is not a manufacturing defect to claim a warantee.

calling said:
The batteries are about 1/2 year old I think. What I think that is strange is the fact that all the batteries have the same problem. The protection around the negative terminal burst and the mixture of lead sulfate with sulfuric acid got off the batteries.

Check out what is the output voltage of the charger. Also let me know what load is driven by the batteries? And too confirm that the vent plugs of all cells are well ventilated to emit the gasses. Cheers

pranam77 said:
Check out what is the output voltage of the charger. Also let me know what load is driven by the batteries? And too confirm that the vent plugs of all cells are well ventilated to emit the gasses.

The batteries are sealed so I think they do not release the gasses (correct me if I'm wrong). I can't do the measures you're asking =(. I just need know what are the possible causes of the problem but as I don't understand a lot of batteries I came here to see if someone could help me.

For what you've said the possible causes of this problem can be excess of voltage in the output of the charger or overload? Couldn't it be a manufacturing defect or is it normal that the protection around the negative terminal burnt.

Can you also explain me why did it happened only in the negative terminal and not on the positive too? Cheers

calling said:
The batteries are sealed so I think they do not release the gasses (correct me if I'm wrong).
Every battery when charged, releases toxic gasses. If the battery is a sealed one, there will be small vents through which the gases escape.
calling said:
Couldn't it be a manufacturing defect or is it normal that the protection around the negative terminal burs..
It is not normal to get a terminal burnt off. You may contact the supplier to see wether he honours the warantee for the same and also you may get better solution from him for the problem.
calling said:
I can't do the measures you're asking =(. I just need know what are the possible causes of the problem but as I don't understand a lot of batteries I came here to see if someone could help me.
Without measuring i coudnt figure out whatz the prolem. I am sorry...may be you'll get some better answers.

UPS battery damaged

First the batteries were suphated which happen when a lead-acid battery sits for months without a charge.

Now the problem is completely different: the "protection" burst and the negative terminal is burnt. The batteries are now leaking sulphate and acid?

Audioguru said:
Now the problem is completely different: the "protection" burst and the negative terminal is burnt. The batteries are now leaking sulphate and acid?

They are leaking a white paste which I think is a mixture of lead sulphate and acid. But only from the negative terminal (all of them).

UPS battery damaged

Lead sulphate is a material that is deposited on the lead plates of an old battery. It is not a paste.

I think the white paste is the electrolyte gel in a sealed gel-cell battery. The battery is completely sealed and normally does not produce gas.

I think the UPS over-charged the batteries which caused gas which exploded the sealed case around the negative terminals.

A gel-cell battery is supposed to be charged to a lower voltage than a wet-cell battery. If you replaced wet-cell batteries with gel-cell batteries then you are to blame for the damage.

If the UPS is also only 6 months old then the UPS manufacturer should fix the charger in the UPS and should replace the damaged batteries.

So you think the problem is on the charger and not on the battery?

Couldn't it be a manufacturing problem? For example a weak sealed case around the negative terminal?
And why do you think it happened only on the negative terminal? Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back