Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Damaged Electronic components

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennythomas

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Please give me a list of electronic components which can be damaged in the storeroom (before soldering)?

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

What's the big deal with the room of yours. Is it heat, cold, salt?
I know salty environoment would get components to rust over time. But I think it's quite random what components that fails first.

Solderability is affected with time even in a clean atmosphere I think.

Keith

What you all people use to remove oxidized leads (say you have lots of parts buy in bulk 5 years ago and now need to use some of them, but oxidized leads not letting you solder)

Any chemical to remove oxidized leads?

Sanding/filing oxidized leads not always possible, for example, SMD components - what you use then?

What I do is, I get a cutter knife.
One of these:
41_1312911996.jpg

Then I remove the oxide layer with the cutter knife.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Last edited:

You can get PCB cleaners such as this EraserCleanerBlock but I am not sure if they would be suitable vor SMD legs. You can also get liquid/aerosol cleaners such as Ambersil6130 but again, I am not sure if they would be suitable for components.

Keith

A rubber eraser often works to clean up the leads, and a slightly aggressive flux (I like Kester 186)
sure does help when soldering older parts. It's a pain to clean the residue after soldering, however.

I try to keep my stored parts as dry as possible, in sealed moisture-barrier bags with lots of dessicant inside.

i have seen one datasheet (section:humidity sensitivity and soldering)of a opamp suggested to heat the ic at about 80 deg C before soldering.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back