Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DAC and ADC architectures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan_Jackson

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please, for my project (DSP interfacing), I am looking for a reference providing an authoritative and complete review of DAC and ADC architectures. Thanks.

Here is one of the best reference on DAC and ADC circuit architectures.

Tertulien Ndjountche, CMOS Analog Integrated Circuits: High-Speed
and Power-Efficient Design, Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2011.
ISBN: 9781439854914

can't tell about DAC but there are many types of ADCs
each and every one has its advantages and dis advantages
it depends on you which type of adc will you be doing

i can provide you flash adc architecture only...............i have worked on it

I am interested in an architecture that can provide a resolution of 12-14 bits and operate in the MHz range. I think pipelined or delta-sigma converters (described the above book) should be able to meet these specifications.

See i have worked upon flash adc
i have worked in 10MHz range
but i have worked in 3bit adc resolution, higher than that is difficult to perform using flash adc
pipelined is a stack of flash adc its bulkier than flash and so is delta sigma i believe
but it is true that the resolution in pipelined is better than flash
flash is simple as for a project work

Pipeline will be very difficult to achieve 12bit and even more difficult for 14 bit, because of noise reasons. According to me, don't even consider it. Sigma-delta is perhaps the way to go. But you need the appropriate technology to achieve the frequency you want, up to a certain value. With fast technology, maybe even SAR will do the job.
BTW, flash adc is good for up to 5-6 bits, not 3bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.