Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

D Flip Flop with Preset and Clear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Loh.

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
d flip flop with preset and clear

I read in a book that the Clear and the Prest of a D Flip Flop are asynchronous inputs...

I doubt...The clear shall not propagate to the RS FF section unless the D is 0 and CLK high....and the PRESET shall not have effect unless CLK=1 and D=1....

So How really to use a D FlipFlop with Prest and Clear ?

And am I right to say that a the PRESET and Clear are a way to bypass the CLK and use the D Flip Flop as an RS Flip Flop ?

d flip flop preset clear

The CLEAR/PRESET are asynchonous, ie they are independent of clock edges. In otherwards, they apply instantaneously and have precedence over clock transitions. Clocked operation will only occur when both are high.
**broken link removed** pretty much summarises it.

d flip flop preset

preset and clear are asynchronous inputs .whenever preset is 'active' irrespective of input and clock the output of flipflop becomes high.and in case of active clear input the output of flipflop becomes low irrespective of input and clock

d flip flop clear preset

If D and CLK are high, S=1 and R=0 (RS FF Section...) and now if I want to clear the FF the preset will not propagate to the flip flop...as they are and Gated...R=0 shall propagate only if CLk =1 and D=0

Am i wrong ?

flip flop d preset

I do not know which particular FF you are referring to, but if the datasheet says that the set andd reset inputs are asynchronous, that means they operate independently from the clock and data inputs. Once asserted, they will force the output in one of the possible states, even if there is a clock signal present and regardless of what the data input is. The effect is immediate.
Perhaps it would help if you posted the schematic you are referring to.

flip-flop d com preset e clear

The D flip Flop Diagramme...
So, will CLR work while D=1 ?

Will either PRE or CLR work if CLK=0 ?

Don't blame me if it is wrong.... I got it out of a book...

One solution I see is to replace the PRE and CLR AND gates with OR gates and keep the PRE and CLR active high...

Any comments ?

dff preset

Preset and Clear are asynchronous. The drawing from the book it's only for explanation purpose and it' s possible that the author didn't spot that's wrong. Here is the Texas Instruments implementation for D flip-flop

flip flop d clear preset

preset and clear in dare asynchronous as they do not depend on the d flipflop only the out put depends on the clk

flip-flop d preset clear

Shouldn't it be called synchronous then if the output depended on the clock ?

I am begining to believe that the textbook had an error... It was a reputed book tough....

d ff preset clear

For synchronous case, the changes in output is depend on the clock. Even you give reset (preset) to low, output Q can't go to 0 (1) immediately, and have to wait until clock pos edge.

For asynchronous case, whenever clear(preset) is low, the output Q will be 0(1) immediately. No need to wait the clk pos edge.

(I just mention for the case of 74ls74 D flipflop, active low clear and preset, and pos edge clk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back