Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cyclone II or spartan 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

max420

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all.i have two fpga boards with me Altera DE1 and Digilent Pegasus Board,which have Cyclone II and spartan 2 FPGA respectively.I synthesize my design both on Quartus and Xilinx and got the synthesis report and device utilization summary for both of them respectfully.Now with the help of these reports how can i know which one is efiicient?and which board will i select?as i am new here i have no idea.please help me.thanks>>>

the device summaries are below :

for Cyclone II:

Family : Cyclone II
Device : EP2C20F484C7
Timing Models : Final
Total logic elements : 302 / 18,752 ( 2 % )
Total combinational functions : 302 / 18,752 ( 2 % )
Dedicated logic registers : 256 / 18,752 ( 1 % )
Total registers : 256
Total pins : 20 / 315 ( 6 % )
Total virtual pins : 0
Total memory bits : 0 / 239,616 ( 0 % )
Embedded Multiplier 9-bit elements : 0 / 52 ( 0 % )
Total PLLs : 0 / 4 ( 0 % )

for spartan2

Device Utilization Summary
Logic Utilization Used Available Utilization Note(s)
Number of Slice Flip Flops 279 1,536 18%
Number of 4 input LUTs 451 1,536 29%
Logic Distribution
Number of occupied Slices 246 768 32%
Number of Slices containing only related logic 246 246 100%
Number of Slices containing unrelated logic 0 246 0%
Total Number of 4 input LUTs 451 1,536 29%
Number of bonded IOBs 19 140 13%
Number of GCLKs 1 4 25%
Number of GCLKIOBs 1 4 25%
Total equivalent gate count for design 4,941
Additional JTAG gate count for IOBs 960

For some reason, the Xilinx Spartan II design uses about 50% more logic elements than Cyclone II. However, both FPGAs aren't newest technology, and Spartan II is a few years older. Furthermore the specific devices are different in resource amount by a factor of about 10, so they can hardly compare.

If you want to implement more complex designs, you'll easily reach the limits of the Pegasus board respectively the small XC2S50 FPGA. In the comparison, DE1 has plenty of resources, but you can also select a more recent Xilinx Dev Kit.

Hi,

If you want to choose the right FPGA for your project, do not go by the synthesis results.. as they are different for different FPGAs and FPGA vendors. Start by mapping out the I/O requirement (how many I/O pins you need), then what is the operating frequency of the design.. this will help you choose the FPGA speed grade.. Next look at the amount of RAM your project needs..like if you're using FIFOs of large sizes then u need an FPGA with lots of BRAMs. After you select an FPGA based on these criteria, you can move up and down the product family to choose the one with higher logic cells if you need that.

Choosing an FPGA that results in very less useage means that you're wasting FPGA resources. You could do better by choosing a smaller but faster device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back