Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cyclic Prefix and Zero Padding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

afolz

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,
I recently started studying OFDM systems. However, I'm kindof hazy about the differences, similarities or relationship(s) between cyclic prefix and zero padding.

THankx

Zero padding is usually done to complete a packet/block size so that operations which happen on some specific size of blocks can be performed.

However Cyclic prefix is a way to eleminate ISI. This is done after performing IFFT and when the OFDM symbols are ready to be transmitted.

afolz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Zero Padding is actually done for i) complete a packet block size but more importantly ii) it is used to 'zero' out the information of band-edge carriers.

If this is not done then the information on those carriers would be severely attenuation by the filters in the transmitter even before it goes through the channel. The problem is due to the need of using window functions in the FFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back