Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cutting PCB trace with utility knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsun

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Is it possible to break a PCB trace using sharp utility knife?

I need to replace one trace on the top surface of the board with another jumper wire connection. This is a multi-layer board and quite fortunately there are no other traces beneath the intended break point. In this situation, may I simply use a sharp utility knife to do the cutting?

Bob

You can do it with a screwdriver, a knife or a pcb scraper, scratch the trace carefully back and forth until the thin copper layer is removed, be careful because you don't want to damage the surrounding traces so work slowly and precise.
Another option is to scratch the trace with the corner of a screwdriver to cut it vertically.

Alex

Reactions: bobsun

bobsun

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Alex,

How about X-ACTO knife? I googled and it seems many stores are selling this brand of knife for PCB modification. Is it superior in effect?

Bob

If you have it you can use it but it can be done with anything that has sharp edge.
The PCB is not going to be cut like a paper , you have to scrap it a few times until the thin copper layer goes off.

Alex

bobsun

Alex,

I see it, thanks.

Bob

People have different preferences. I personally like small (9 mm blade) snap-off blade cutters for all kinds of PCB modifications. For wide traces, a Dremel with a small milling tool should be considered. With it, you can even access inner layers of a multilayer board.

bobsun

FvM,

Nice seeing you again:) My first board worked and I am doing some modification work for new connections.

Thanks for the information.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back