Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cut off frequency of Circular Waveguide

Status
Not open for further replies.

ping-pong

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
circular waveguide cutoff frequency

Hi,

Can somebody tell me the specific formula to calculate the cutoff frequency of circular waveguide. What will be the radius of circular waveguide if it is to operated at 8.2 GHz. Can u provide the literature or link from where I can get some useful information about this. Waiting an early reply.

Very good book for you is a "Microwave Engineering" by Pozar,second edition, charter 3.

I recently designed a coke can wave guide(cavity). Remember that the higher the frequency the smaller the wave guide will be! Here are the formulas I used to calculate it:
1) Use the link that is in the above post to get your p'nm and pnm values for the mode you want.
2) KC= (p'nm or pnm)/radius (in) Raduis must be in inches
3) lamda g = length of waveguide * wavelength (1/2 for 1/2 of a wave cycle)
4) B=((2*pi)/lamda g)
5) KC^2+B^2=K^2
Solve For K
6) f=(K*C(11.81 GHz-in))/(2*pi)

You should be able to calculate the size of your waveguide by going reverse. For a raduis of 1.3in and a length of 4.5in I calculated 3-5 GHz for the lowest modes (less interference if you calculate TE11 or TM01 modes) . So for your application you are going to need something smaller in diameter and the height you may want to play with. According to Pozar the cut off frequency is
fc=p'nm/(2*pi*raduis*sqrt(ue)). I hope that all this helps! Willaceee 8) 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back