Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Customising a portable RFID reader to improve range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFst

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been trying to find an RFID reader that can read tags at a distance of 1-3ft (or 30-90cm).
I've looked in to both using high frequency and ultra high frequency and both have flaws that I need to work around. HF doesn't have the read range and UHF is too expensive as the readers are capable of far more than what I actually need.

Fixed readers seem to have a much larger range than portable readers, which presumably is due to a much larger antenna and an increase in power.

HF passive tags are easy to find with read ranges of 1ft (~30cm), but none of the portable HF readers are capable of more than a few inches.

Theoretically, by adding a larger antenna would it be possible to adapt a reader that can only read at a distance of 3-4 inches normally to read at an increased range of 12-20 inches?
In doing so would the increase in antenna size require significantly more power?

Apologies for this quetion being mostly theory with no solid specifications, but I'm not too far along in my project and I'm still stuck on theory.

Your question is rather unspecific regarding the RFID standards you are considering for your application. So the answer can't be much more.

Generally, ISO_IEC 15693 "Vicinity" cards are targetting the intended range.

Reactions: PFst

PFst

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back