Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current & voltage control for ADC input

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireball003

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
My microcontroller ADC can take input from 0-5 volt. But my input voltage is much more than that. Same for Direct current. Which circuit will help me to reduce the voltage using a known equation ? (So that I can calculate and get the original voltage and current value while computing inside microcontroller.)

Is Op-amp helpful here? Then what would be the circuit?

Thanks a lot

Hi fireball003,
Why don't you go for a simple resistor divider circuit.
I think this will be the first option you have to try.

If any condition like high output impedance is there,
then we can tackle that by using a buffer.

It is better to know the scenario under which attenuation has to be done for better answer.

regards,
sudhir

Added after 6 seconds:

Hi fireball003,
Why don't you go for a simple resistor divider circuit.
I think this will be the first option you have to try.

If any condition like high output impedance is there,
then we can tackle that by using a buffer.

It is better to know the scenario under which attenuation has to be done for better answer.

regards,
sudhir

Hi sudhir,
Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to measure voltage and current continuously. To be precise I am trying to build a system- microcontroller based voltage and current measurement system where I don’t have the voltage or current limit. May be it is too large. So, I was thinking of a system that will follow a known equation.

Theoretically the domain of the equation will be up to infinity. And the range of the equation will be from 0 to 5. So that it’s output will be 0 to 5. Later I will recover the original value by calculating inside microcontroller. How would I do that using analog circuit?

I think I thought of that system in much more complicated way. Suggestions are also very much welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.