Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current sink for differential amplifier / long-tail pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juz_ad

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello - this is my first post here.

I need to design a suitable voltage-controlled current source to drive a 4x transistor differential amp (long-tail pair) - like this:

Wikipedia: Long-tailed-pair

I've never used a transistor diff-amp before so this is just for testing and proof-of-concept - I am trying to learn about discrete OTAs.

I started with this:

It takes a control voltage of 0 to 5V, and sinks approx. 0 to 0.5mA at Iabc. My decision to use 0.5mA is based on the input current for the CA3080 OTA.

My understanding is that the current input for the differential amp needs to be referenced to -V so I don't think my design will work as it is?

Can anyone suggest changes I can make to my design or a new design to look at or any advice to get me started.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.