Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

current sensor selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arpit Gupta

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
need an IC to sense 0-5A with a resolution of atleast 0.01 Amps and the sensor should use a shunt current sense resistor
preferrably from texas instruments

Hi,

Frequency, sensor common mode voltage, supply voltage, output voltage, isolation?

Klaus

20khz minimum bandwidth
common mode voltage:20v
supply volt:5v
output:5v
no isolation required

current to be measured:-5to5amps
shunt resistor sense mode
resolution:minimum 0.01amps

- - - Updated - - -

bandwidth: 20khz
no isolation required
supply max5v
commom mode voltage not an issue
output voltage max 5v

Hi,

This seems to be a very common application.

I tried at farnell and found more than 100 pieces with your specifications.
Look for "current sense amplifiers"

Klaus

Hi!

LMP8602 Current sensing amplifier
INA213 Current shunt monitor
INA214 " " "
INA215 " " "

Just in case it helps: I've just used a current shunt monitor for the first time, the INA286 (only 10kHz I'm afraid), and I have to say that - like the datasheet warns - any minimum lead length (or even SIL header pins) from shunt resistor to the device is a pain that adds unwanted resistance beyond belief. My 0.02R is in fact 0.14R thanks to using short leads (approx. 8cm) and SIL pins on a SOIC to through-hole adapter board to prototype... A milli-ohmeter would come in handy right now!
The device itself is great, it's idiot-proof - even I can use it. Minimum parts and easy to use, but getting the shunt resistor right and the ADC voltage divider is a royal pain in my case.

If you go to TI.com, look at products, amplifiers, current sensing/current shunt monitors - there are more or less 90 to choose from and you can filter products based on your parameters, as with other manufacturer's product pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.