Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Sensing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamyboy_999

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using a current sense amplifier in a solar harvesting circuit which uses a SEPIC converter in order to adjust the amount of power drawn from the solar panel. I am using a 28m sense resistor and the voltage drop across the resistor at some operating point is 1.2 mv. I have used a multimeter to measure the voltage drop which I guess gives the average or DC component. when I multiply it by the gain of the amplifier , it is different from the output of the amplifier (again I use a multimeter to measure the output). I have tested with current sense amplifier with a pure DC signal and it is quite accurate...but I have this problem in my solar harvesting circuit.....

Hi,
When you tested with "pure DC signal" it was also 1.2mV as input? I guess it cause due some non linear characteristics of amplifier. If I am right, you should divide yours current range into two separated sub ranges: low current with higher sense resistor and high(er) current range with lower sense resistor. This is trick may improve current measure capabilities
Regards,

is this before the SEPIC converter?

Might be due to poor input offset voltage or CMRR on the amplifier. Or maybe your DMM isn't so accurate. Hard to say without a schematic.

- - - Updated - - -

is this before the SEPIC converter?

Yes it is before the SEPIC converter, it is a high side current sense amplifier

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
When you tested with "pure DC signal" it was also 1.2mV as input? I guess it cause due some non linear characteristics of amplifier. If I am right, you should divide yours current range into two separated sub ranges: low current with higher sense resistor and high(er) current range with lower sense resistor. This is trick may improve current measure capabilities
Regards,

Yes with pure DC signal I have tested for different ranges...even less than that....It is pretty accurate...

Might be due to poor input offset voltage or CMRR on the amplifier. Or maybe your DMM isn't so accurate. Hard to say without a schematic.

If the problem was with offest or CMRR , why is it completely accurate in DC mode ? (even if with very very small sense voltages) ? what do u exactly mean by the accuracy of the multimeter ? u mean the resolution or its sampling rate ?

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    449.1 KB · Views: 84

Is the input to your converter DC or pulses? No reason to believe that a meter on DC accurately measures a pulsing waveform, if anything I would expect it to have a LPF so it ignores noise, did it read low? Use a wideband RMS meter.
Frank

Move sensing resistor between load and ground to reduce noise.

Is the input to your converter DC or pulses? No reason to believe that a meter on DC accurately measures a pulsing waveform, if anything I would expect it to have a LPF so it ignores noise, did it read low? Use a wideband RMS meter.
Frank
it is actually a solar panel, I have figured out one thing...the corss talk from the switching signal is so high in different parts of my circuit..I am trying to measure a voltage over sense resistor which is of order mili volts, but the cross talk it self is about 100 mv!!

As the input impedance of a DVM is normally 10 M ohms,I would put a low pass filter in series with the meter leads. i.e. put a 10 K resistor on each end of the current monitoring resistor, a .1 MF capacitor across the free ends of the resistors and measure the DC voltage across the capacitor. You can compensate for the additional resistances, they will reduce the voltage by 20/10000 ~ .002 or .2% .
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.