Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current mode and voltage mode of boost converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljy4468

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I have a question about voltage and current mode of boost converter.

when you see below url,
**broken link removed**
it says that current mode is suitable for 'input voltage variation is restricted'
while voltage mode is suitable for 'wide input line'.

So, I think that current mode control is more suitable for battery application
while voltage mode control is suitable for ac line application.

The what makes these difference? I think fast response time of current mode may make this difference. am I right?
If you don't think so, please let me know your opinion.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

If you try to set a regulated volt level on a battery...

The battery will automatically set its own innate volt level. Whether you set the regulated voltage lower than the battery, or higher than the battery.

However if you know what the final volt level of the fully charged battery should be, then you can set it for that figure (with the battery disconnected). Then the battery will charge until it reaches that predetermined V level.

A battery is likely to have a larger input voltage percentage variation from full charge to discharge than the normal AC line voltage variation. So, strictly using that criteria, voltage mode is more suitable for a battery source than an AC source.

Status
Not open for further replies.